Monday, July 23, 2012

Herb and Dorothy

I don't claim to understand conceptual art.




Sometimes I like it.




 



Sometimes I don't like it.



 

I don't claim to understand minimalist art.




Sometimes I like it.









Sometimes I don't like it.









However, one thing I do understand is collectors buying what they like and that is exactly what Herb and Dorothy Vogel did. 





Over a 50 year span they purchased almost 5000 pieces of art and they did it on a budget.  Herb was a Postal Worker and Dorothy was a Librarian. They had no children and lived modestly, choosing to live an artful life and literally surrounding themselves with what they loved.

Yesterday I watched a movie about Dorothy and Herb and their art collection.  I didn't particularly like what they chose to spend their money on but since it wasn't my money it doesn't really matter if I liked it or not.  Some of the pieces was interesting, others not so much but Dorothy and Herb (the cutest little couple in the world) along with all the artist friends they collected along with the art was the real story.

In the end the Vogels did the most amazing thing with their collection which ended up being worth millions.  They chose to give their art to museums so the public could enjoy it.  That I understand. 

"Fifty Works For Fifty States" has allowed a museum in each and every state to own fifty pieces from the Vogel collection. What an incredible gift.

So today I was curious about Herb and Dorothy and did a little Google search on them.  I found out that Herb died yesterday..........sometimes I am psychic like that and I could actually hear the spooky music in the background. 

Test your Vogel art collector knowledge.... I got ten out of ten.

Love,
Buddy




No comments: