Friday, April 4, 2008

In the Beginning


I got a note from Treasure Barn and she has the most poignant story about her dogs (Saturday, February 24, 2007; A Sad Start with a Happy Ending) on her blog. I was reminded of my own beginnings.

I don't much remember where I was before the shelter
. I do remember that they were very nice to me and there were a lot of other dogs waiting to find humans to take care of.

My first human was Kind Lady. She took me home but we didn't stay together very long. I must have done an ok job with her because she moved to a place that didn't need dogs and I had to find another human to take care of.

Then I went home with Pretty Lady. What a handful that turned out to be. Pretty Lady had a husband, a baby, and another dog! It didn't take me long to whip that place into shape and soon they didn't need me any more either.

Pretty Lady's father, Kind Gentle Man (aka the photographer) looked like he really needed a special dog to take care of him, so I volunteered for the job. Boy, little did I know what a handful he would be. I was about a year old when I got there and I have been here about a year. It has taken a lot of patience but I think I am about to get him trained.

In the morning I lick his face to get him out of bed. I accompany him to breakfast to make sure he eats properly. We go to work every day where I supervise everything he does. I take him for at least one walk, sometimes two if he is feeling energetic.

Potty training went fairly well, it was all a matter of recognizing his signals of when he needed to go out. We tried crate training but I have found that Kind Gentle Man responded much better to couch training instead. It doesn't take much coaxing to get him on the couch if I turn the TV on.

There was no need for socialization for this human. He will talk to anyone at anytime about anything. Some humans are just that way I guess. At least I don't have to worry about him biting anyone.

I do believe he is going to turn out to be a well behaved human, I think I will keep this one!

Love,
Buddy





4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Great Post!

You are doing a great job, Buddy!

Love the picture of you. Sooo cute!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Buddy, you're such a handsome fellow. Keep on blogging, man. --Susan

pchickki said...

Thanks for mentioning my post about my dogs on your blog. I just love my little (100 lb) dogs. Yeah I think they have me trained now too. You sound like a really nice doggie!
Hugs
Patti

Carolyn said...

There is something for you over at my Blog.

:)

Carolyn