Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year?

Is this the last time we inhabitants of Earth will get to celebrate a New Year's Day?  If so, then today is very special indeed. However, if it isn't the "last" New Year's Day is it any less enjoyable or important?


  I suppose by now almost everyone has heard of the famous (of infamous) Mayan long count calendar whose cycle ends on the winter solstice in our year 2012.  A lot of people have different theories on exactly what this means.






When you read all this stuff, please keep in mind that the measurement of time is man made.  Time passes, seasons change, the Moon orbits the Earth, the Earth orbits the Sun, the Sun has its place in the Orion Belt of the Milky Way, the Milky Way has its place in our Universe.  We Earthlings have no control over the occurrences of solstices and equinoxes or when they happen.  We only mark time showing when they happen.

So, let me tell you that I don't give a rat's patootie that the Mayan calendar has come to the end of its cycle, I don't care what dire (or other) predictions are being made, I don't even care is something really does happen or if nothing at all happens.

You see, whatever happens at whatever time, I have no control over it.  I can't make it start, I can't make it stop, I can't make it happen or not happen.  However, I do have control over what I do and how I react. 
So, I intend to;
savor life and all its offerings
wag my tail with enthusiasm
bark to the best of my ability
live my life with purpose. 
love as much as I can
hug as often as I can
laugh as hard as I can, 
take chances
give chances
be

You should too.  Happy New Year.

Love,
Buddy





No comments: