Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Georgia O'Keeffe!

I believe I would rather have Stieglitz like something - anything I had done - than anyone else I know.


 I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty.



 I'm frightened all the time. But I never let it stop me. Never


I hate flowers - I paint them because they're cheaper than models and they don't move.


  I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for



 I have already settled it for myself so flattery and criticism go down the same drain and I am quite free.

I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.



  I often painted fragments of things because it seemed to make my statement as well as or better than the whole could.


 Singing has always seemed to me the most perfect means of expression.
It is so spontaneous. And after singing, I think the violin. 
Since I cannot sing, I paint.

 The days you work are the best days.
My favorite photo of Georgia by Ansel Adams



One day a hummingbird flew in--
It fluttered against the window til I got it down where I could reach it with an open umbrella--
--When I had it in my hand it was so small I couldn't believe I had it--but I could feel the intense life--so intense and so tiny--
...You were like the humming bird to me...
And I am rather inclined to feel that you and I know the best part of one another without spending much time together--
--It is not that I fear the knowing--
It is that I am at this moment willing to let you be what you are to me--it is beautiful and pure and very intensely alive.
~Georgia O'Keeffe~



I love Georgia and her work, a true American original and rugged individual.

Love, 
Buddy



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are these quotes from georgia o'keeffe?

Buddy said...

To the best of my knowledge they are all Georgia's quotes. There is a link at the bottom of the page (brainyquotes.com) where you can find more quotes.

Love,
Buddy

Buddy said...

PS
Sorry, that should be brainyquote.com